24 Springfield Road, Ottawa
Schoolhouse Square, also known as Ecole St Charles, is a heritage building located at 24 Springfield Road that was refurbished in 1997 by Domicile. Prior to it's conversion to a condominium, this building housed the former St. Charles School, designed by Moses Edey and Francis Sullivan. It was built for the Ottawa Roman Catholic Separate School Board in 1910 to serve the French Catholic residents of New Edinburgh. After serving the francophone community for 47 years, St. Charles School closed in 1972 and the building was used for social service offices, storage and as a theatre.
In February of 1996, St. Charles School was designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act. Later that year, Domicile Developments Inc. hired Katz Webster Clancey Associates, Architects to design a residential conversion of St. Charles School accommodating loft apartments on the second and third floors. The project, including new townhomes in the former schoolyard, is known as "Schoolhouse Square." Completed in 1997, Schoolhouse Square won an Award of Excellence for Adaptive Reuse at the City of Ottawa's 1998 Architectural Conservation Awards.
This 2-storey loft-style condo building offers high ceilings, hardwood flooring, gas fireplaces and beautiful exposed brick walls. Many of the original features were preserved in the conversion of Schoolhouse Square including, many windows, pressed-metal ceilings, wainscotting and decorative newel posts. All of the floor plans in the building feature beautiful open staircases with units sprawling the first and second floors. There is even a unit in the building sprawled out over three storeys. Surfaced parking and storage lockers are included with most units. Residents can enjoy summer relaxation and barbecues on the communal rooftop terrace.